Soil Pocket Penetrometer (also known as a hand penetrometer), manufactured by Gilson Company, is a compact, lightweight, stainless steel unit that provides fast estimates of unconfined compressive strength of cohesive soils. The Penetrometer does not replace laboratory testing for soil strength values, but provides approximate values quickly. OSHA-specified when inspecting trench excavations for stability and safety, this device can determine the need for modification of slope angles or necessity of shoring.
The 0.25in (6.4mm) diameter penetration piston is pushed 0.25in (6.4mm) into the soil up to a groove on the piston. A calibrated spring measures force, which is shown on a scale engraved on the piston barrel. A sliding indicator ring shows resistance in tons per square foot (tsf) or kg/cm².
- Rapid estimates of unconfined compressive strength of cohesive soils
- Direct-reading scale in tsf or kg/cm² units
- Sliding indicator ring retains maximum reading
- Stainless steel construction
- Meets OSHA regulations for soil trench stability evaluations
- Soil Pocket Penetrometer
- Carrying pouch