Soil Testing Equipment
Soil testing equipment is available from Karol-Warner in a wide selection of products for field or laboratory use. Uses include geotechnical / soil applications, analyses, evaluations, classifications, and more. No matter the method, our materials testing equipment is designed for solid performance and compliance with industry standards.
Determining the geotechnical properties and behaviors of soils is based on its laboratory analysis using prescribed test methods. These determinations are a crucial aspect of structural foundation and pavement design for bridges, embankments, and roads. The science of soil mechanics was first attributed to Karl von Terzaghi in 1929. Soil mechanics have an increasingly important role today in civil engineering, pavement design, and construction. Karol-Warner’s is committed to providing accurate and reliable equipment for geotechnical testing applications. Karol-Warner soil testing equipment includes:
- Triaxial Shear Strength measures a soil specimen’s resistance to deformation under axial load while confined by fluid pressures. This is to control drainage in the soil specimen and measurement of its pore water pressure. Karol-Warner Triaxial Shear Strength products are designed for accuracy, reliability, and ease of use. Products include Load Frames with compatible strain rates, control panels to monitor and regulate permeant pressures. ASTM and AASHTO-compliant triaxial test cells and related accessories for sample preparation are also available.
- Unconfined Compressive Strength is a determination of the estimated strength of soil when there are no confining forces applied. Load Frames with specified loading rates are outfitted with the components needed to perform Unconfined Compressive Strength tests.
- California Bearing Ratio (CBR) measures bearing capacities of soils for use in pavement design. Laboratory specimens compacted into molds and soaked in water are positioned in a Load Frame and loaded with a penetration piston. CBR is defined by plotting the results of load versus depth of penetration. Many of our Load Frames are compatible with and used in CBR testing. Also compatible are our CBR penetration pistons, load and displacement measurement devices, and other sample preparation tools.
- Direct / Residual Shear Strength determines shear strength properties of soil specimens. Karol-Warner Direct / Residual Shear Machines are self-contained and rugged. The Pneumatic Direct/Residual Shear Machines feature our patented CONBEL® pneumatic loading system for application of vertical confining loads. Dead-Weight Direct / Residual Shear Machines use a 10:1 beam with dead weights for its loading system. Shear Boxes, Cutters, and Extruders are available in a variety of sizes to match testing needs. Karol-Warner Large Direct Shear Machines test 12in (304.8mm) samples with embedded geomembrane fabrics.
- Consolidation occurs as water is forced out of the soil matrix under long-term static loading. This results in a volume reduction as soil particles pack more tightly together. Consolidation testing allows for prediction of this volume change. The rate of consolidation, as well as total consolidation, are important factors in structural foundation design. Karol-Warner Pneumatic Consolidation Frames, or Oedometers, feature our patented CONBEL®pneumatic loading system. Our Dead-Weight Consolidation Frames operate with variable mechanical lever ratios of 9:1, 10:1, or 11:1. Consolidometer cells are available in all popular sizes, and many are compatible with other manufacturer’s Load Frames.
- Permeabilityis the measure of a permeant (usually water) flow through the pore matrix of a soil specimen. Permeability determinations are important to predict potential consolidation and stability issues and other environmental and groundwater study applications. Karol-Warner has a large selection of flexible wall permeability testing accessories. We also offer a variety of Permeameters for falling-head or constant-head applications.
- Proctor Compaction testing evaluates the moisture-density relationship of cohesive soils and is often done in advance of earthwork operations. The test determines the maximum density of the soil and the effects moisture has on the soil density. Proctor Compaction identifies potential soil settlement issues and can serve as a predictor of future performance of the materials.
- Geosynthetics / Geomembrane Testing offers quality assurance that materials will function properly to stabilize/reinforce terrain and pavements and allow proper drainage. Large Direct Shear Machines and the Soil / Geotextile Permeameter measure performance of geosynthetic membranes.
- Load Frames are used for a variety of compression-loading tasks in the construction materials laboratory. A basic Load Frame is economical and easy to outfit with components required for specific tests. Karol-Warner Load Frames are built with accuracy, repeatability, and quality in mind.
- Load & Displacement Measurement products are built to equip Karol-Warner Load Frames for a variety of testing applications. Choose components to meet your measurement needs from our complete selection of load and displacement equipment.
- Latex Membranes seal and protect soil specimens during flexible wall permeability and triaxial testing. Membranes are constructed of pure latex rubber using proprietary methods to ensure the highest quality. For triaxial shear or flexible wall permeability applications, choose Neoflex Membranes. They are formed with latex and coated with a second protective layer of neoprene. The neoprene side of the membrane should touch the sample for full protection. Over 35 different membranes to choose from in varying diameters, thickness, length, and material.
- Porous Stones are used in a wide range of geotechnical lab testing applications. We offer a wide selection of porous stones in different diameters and in both Imperial and Metric sizes. They are 0.25 or 0.5in (6.3 or 12.7mm) thickness and are constructed of aluminum oxide or sintered bronze.