CBR Test Equipment
California Bearing Ratio (CBR) is a penetration test to evaluate the relative strength of soil subgrades and base courses for pavements. A standard piston is forced into a prepared sample or an in situ site and the resistance is measured. Laboratory samples are compacted into CBR Molds and may be soaked in a water bath while loaded with surcharge weights prior to the CBR test in a Load Frame. Karol-Warner offers the following CBR test equipment:
- Load Frames by Karol-Warner are ideal for penetration testing of laboratory CBR samples. Load Frames are outfitted with Load & Displacement Measurement accessories and penetration pistons, all purchased separately. Other components are available to configure the Load Frames for a variety of other laboratory soil tests. These versatile units feature strain rates accurate to ±1% of the set point and large, adjustable frame openings to accommodate different types of testing fixtures.
- Load & Displacement Measurement components measure testing forces and deformation or displacement of the sample. Your choice of analog or digital elements mount easily to Load Frames or testing fixtures.
- CBR Mold Set is used to prepare and test soil samples for California Bearing Ratio (CBR) testing. Rugged and rust-resistant, they are an ideal choice for strength testing in Karol-Warner Load Frames. Our CBR Molds meet AASHTO and ASTM standards and are available as complete sets as well as individual components.
- CBR Penetration Pistons have standard dimensions to meet ASTM and AASHTO requirements and are manufactured with different mounting thread sizes for Load Cells and Load Rings.
- CBR / LBR Data Acquisition Software records specimen information and real-time test data, calculates results, then prepares reports following ASTM and AASHTO requirements. Additional components are required for operation.
- CBR Surcharge Weights used in the application of surcharge forces, select from two models annular or slotted.
- CBR Spacer Disc is inserted into CBR Molds as a false bottom, during compaction.
- Swell Plate is used when measuring swell and as a carrier for surcharge weights.
- Swell Tripod positions a dial indicator to measure specimen swell.
- Filters are placed between the soil and the spacer disc. Select from reusable stainless steel wire mesh circles or single-use coarse filter paper.
- Soaking Tank is used for the soaking process of two maximum CBR or LBR molds.
- Mold Support Rack is used to hold a CBR or LBR mold and test components while soaking in the Soaking Tank.
- LBR Equipment consists of equipment used for testing Limerock Bearing Ratio, similar to the CBR test. LBR uses specific compaction molds and spacer discs.