Unconfined Compressive Strength
Unconfined Compressive Strength (UCS) is a quick and simple test to determine the undrained shear strength of cohesive soils. An undisturbed or remolded soil sample is loaded in an unconfined condition at a strain rate of 0.5 to 2% per minute until failure. The UCS test is easy to perform and requires less time for sample preparation than other tests. Karol-Warner offers the following Unconfined Compression test equipment:
- Load Frames by Karol-Warner are suited to the strain rate and loading requirements of UCS testing for accurate test results. Load & Displacement Measurement components are purchased separately to configure basic load frames for unconfined compression or a variety of other laboratory soil tests. Strain rate of these accurate and versatile units is accurate to ±1% of set point, and the large, adjustable frame openings accommodate many different types of testing fixtures.
- Unconfined Compressive Strength Data Acquisition Software records specimen information and real-time test data, calculates results, then prepares reports following ASTM and AASHTO requirements. Additional components are required for operation.
- Load & Displacement Measurement components measure testing forces and deformation or displacement of the sample. Your choice of analog or digital elements mount easily to load frames or testing fixtures.
- Sample Preparation products ensure correct preparation of samples for loading.
- Swivel Top Platens are used in Soil-Cement Testing. They are constructed from durable steel and finished with zinc plating. Swivel top platens are spherically seated to compensate for minor alignment issues.
- 3in Platens for Unconfined Compressive Strength are upper and lower platens for testing unconfined compressive strength of cohesive soils.
- Plastic Discs for Unconfined Soils Test are placed on the ends of a soil specimen during testing.