Dead-Weight Direct Shear Machines determine direct and residual shear strengths of undisturbed or remolded soil specimens. A dead-weight system with a 10:1 beam is used to apply vertical confining loads during shear testing. A stepper motor drive controls the strain rate to ±1% from 0.0001 – 0.3in/min (0.0025 – 7.62mm/min) and is easily adjustable using digital thumbwheel controls. The maximum shear displacement is 0.8in (20.3mm). Vertical load capacity is 1,411lb (640kg) and maximum horizontal shear force is 1,500lbf (6.67kN). Machines with residual shear function can be reversed at the end of a direct shear cycle to measure residual strength, as required in some methods.
The Shear Box assembly is mounted on a solid 1.25in (32mm) base in a sturdy, self-contained steel cabinet with heavy-duty casters. The system includes a drainage plate and Teflon®-coated anodized aluminum water chamber. Direct Shear Boxes, sold separately, are Teflon®-coated anodized aluminum to resist corrosion and are available in a wide range of sizes. At least one weight set is required. Weight sets are purchased separately in a variety of capacities in pounds or kilogram units. These Shear Machines include the 1100-20 Weight Hanger, which can also be ordered separately as a replacement part.
2050 / 2050F Standard Dead-Weight Direct Shear Machine is equipped with a load cell and digital readout to indicate shear force. Analog dial indicators measure vertical and shear displacement.
2050-D / 2050-DF Digital Dead-Weight Direct Shear Machine uses a data readout to measure consolidation, shear load, and displacement and is equipped to perform residual shear measurements. This model comes complete with a built-in USB port to transmit data to the user’s PC and two 1in Linear Variable Displacement Transducers. Software is included to plot test progress and data for import to an Excel spreadsheet.
- Strain rate is controlled within 1% with precision stepper motor
- 10:1 Mechanical Beam system applies vertical confining pressures
- Sturdy, compact construction leaves a small footprint and withstands harsh laboratory environments
- Analog or digital models
- Option to allow data collection through a computer spreadsheet, such as Excel
- Standard Dead-Weight Direct Shear Machine
- Dial Indicator - 0.5 x .0001in (Range x Divisions)
- Dial Indicator - 1 x 0.001in (Range x Divisions)
- Digital Dead-Weight Direct Shear Machine
- Four-Channel Data Readout
- Two 1in Linear Variable Displacement Transducers
- 1,500lbf Load Cell
- Weight Hanger